Monday, October 8, 2018

The Zookeeper's Wife, by Diane Ackerman




When I started this book, I knew that it had been made into a movie.  I hadn't realized that it was a true story.  This is the story of Antonina Zabinski who always had a connection to animals.  She was a strong woman who kept it together during the war. 

The author wrote this wonderful story based on memoirs and interviews with those who were in the villa.  I loved how they mentioned the death and destruction that the war caused, but didn't dwell on it.  It happened and everyone else moved along with their lives, trying to stay alive and helping others stay alive during the war.

The zoo animals and pets were talked about just like the people were.  I was glad to know what happened to each of them at the end of the book.

The Zookeeper's Wife on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment